Friday, September 14, 2007

Ramadan, Day 1

The first salaat of Ramadan is like drowning. Falling to my knees, letting my forehead gracefully flow to the floor. “Subhana rabbi-al-Allah, subhana rabbi-al-Allah, subhana rabbi-al-Allah,” I whisper into janamaz. Slowly and softly. With such internal clarity. But already, I feel the danger, even seconds into the initial plunge. I can almost hear the chains rattling, the eternal menace angrily pacing his cage. He bides his imprisonment, never content with his handiwork of the past year and always eager to wreak more havoc on souls. While he broods in his cell, we’re left to battle the shadows he’s imprinted on our hearts. Is 30 days enough to repair the damage? Salvation can be a virtue of time, provided we don’t waste the opportunity.

No comments: