Monday, October 08, 2007

Caring for Your Introvert by Jonathan Rauch

I didn't really consider myself an introvert until I read this (these?) article(s). I'm not highlighting, as I am very, very lazy.

Caring for Your Introvert by Jonathan Rauch

There's another article (Top 5 Things Every Extrovert Should Know About Introverts) that I actually preferred. This one I will highlight cuz I enjoyed it a little more and because I already highlighted in an email.

Extroverts on the other hand tend to have more activity in the back of their brain, areas that deal with processing sensory information from the external world, so they tend to search for external stimuli in the form of interacting with other people and the outside world to energize them.

There's a deeper science to this that involves differences in the levels of brain chemicals such as acetylcholine and dopamine in extroverts and introverts, but I won't get into that.


But I wanted to know more about that :-/

Because extroverts notice that introverts don't talk that much with other people. Therefore, extroverts assume that introverts think they're too good to talk to others, hence arrogant and that's hardly the case.


And what's more, introverts can do a lot of things extroverts are naturally good at - give great speeches, schmooze with everyone, be the life of the party, charm the socks off of total strangers - but only for a short period of time. After that, they need time for themselves


4. Introverts need time alone to recharge.


And for those interested in sports, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods come to mind as athletes who are introverts as well.


Introverts have a lot to bring to the table. They have an amazing ability to discover new thoughts, an uncanny ability to focus, to concentrate, to connect the dots, to observe and note things that most people miss, to listen extremely well and are often found having a rich and vivid imagination as well.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I really should print copies of these out and just hand them to everyone I meet.

fny21 said...

haha trust me, i've definitely considered it. the internet is a haven for our kind.