Saturday, September 05, 2009

Arrogance

Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab: "During the lifetime of the Prophet there was a man called 'Abdullah whose nickname was Donkey, and he used to make Allah's Apostle laugh. The Prophet lashed him because of drinking (alcohol). And one-day he was brought to the Prophet on the same charge and was lashed. On that, a man among the people said, "O Allah, curse him ! How frequently he has been brought (to the Prophet on such a charge)!" The Prophet said, "Do not curse him, for by Allah, I know for he loves Allah and His Apostle." "

[Bukhari]


I've gone about this all wrong. I'd always been asking Allah for strength to do what I knew was right, when I should've been asking Him to soften my heart, to purify my soul and increase my connection to him.

Shahr bin Haushab(Allah be pleased with him) relates that he asked Hadhrat Umm-Salamah (Allah be pleased with her): O Ummul-Mu’mineen! What was the supplication made most often by the Messenger of Allah (SAW) when he used to be in your house? She said: He most often used to supplicate:



Ya muqallib al Quloob, thabbit qalbee alaa deenik
O turner of the hearts, establish my heart upon your deen
[Tirmidhi]

No comments: