Thursday, September 07, 2006

15th Sha'ban 1427

already in the midst of Sha'ban, the islamic month that comes before Ramadan [the month of fasting]. another year flies by and i seem to barely notice. tonight, inshaAllah [God willing], is the 15th of Shaban. considering i haven't taken full advantage in the blessings of this month, inshaAllah i hope to be able to make up for it a little tonight.

Ummul-Mu'mineen 'Aishah [ the Prophet (saw)'s wife], Radi-Allahu anha [ may Allah be pleased with her], is reported to have said, "Once Prophet Muhammad (saw), performed the Salah [prayer] of the Night (Tahajjud) and made a very long Sajdah [prostration] until I feared that he had passed away. When I saw this, I rose (from my bed) and moved his thumb (to ascertain whether he is alive). The thumb moved, and I returned (to my place). Then I heard him saying in Sajdah [prostration]: 'I seek refuge of Your forgiveness from Your punishment, and I seek refuge of Your pleasure from Your annoyance, and I seek Your refuge from Yourself. I cannot praise You as fully as You deserve. You are exactly as You have defined Yourself.' Thereafter, when he raised his head from Sajdah [prostration] and finished his salah [prayer], he said to me: 'Aishah, did you think that the Prophet has betrayed you?' I said, 'No, O Prophet of Allah, but I was afraid that your soul has been taken away because your Sajdah [prostration] was very long.' He asked me, 'Do you know which night is this?' I said, 'Allah and His Messenger (saw) know best.' He said, 'This is the night of the half of Sha'ban. Allah Almighty looks upon His slaves in this night and forgives those who seek forgiveness and bestows His mercy upon those who pray for mercy but keeps those who have malice (against a Muslim) as they were before, (and does not forgive them unless they relieve themselves from malice).'"

Learn more about Shaban: Shaban: Merits, Do's and Dont's

No comments: